Resources for socially or physically diadvantaged farmers

Receive mentorship, advice and financial aid from these organizations.

Do you need help making your farm more accessible due to a disability?  

The AgrAbility Project is a national program that mentors and assists farmers who have  disabilities. They help modify farms and production methods to suit the farmer's needs. Financial assistance may be available.

Are you a veteran who wants to start an agrobusiness or farm?
Chris Bailey, a USAF veteran, stands by a pink tractor at the Whitman county Fair.

Chris Bailey, US Air Force veteran, stands next to a pink tractor at the Whitman County Fair.

The Farmer Veteran Coalition helps returning veterans begin agriculture careers and find peace and healing through growing on America’s farms.

Farmer Veteran Fellowship Fund small grant program has awarded almost $2.5 million in small grants to over 600 veterans. Grants are normally between $1,000-5,000 and can be used to purchase equiptment or other farming needs.

Are you a woman farmer?

The Women, Food and Agriculture Network (WFAN) supports women in sustainable agriculture. They also support women in leadership roles. 

WFAN’s Women Caring for the Land program is a conservation education program for women who own farmland.

Are you a tribal member?

The Intertribal Agriculture Council works with Native American and Alaskan Tribes. Their goals are to provide technical assistance and promote  conservation, development and use of agricultural resources for the betterment of their members. 

Check out their resource page.

More pandemic programs, including farm loans, here.

Are you a migrant, veteran, novice or socially disadvantaged farmer?

The National Immigrant Farming Initiative works with beginning, immigrant, veteran, and socially  disadvantaged farmers to help them farm successfully and to advance sustainable farming and food systems.

Their program includes:

Technical assistance: A NIFI agronomist provides growers with free help to develop strategies, address any concerns, and find viable solutions to problems.

Are you a black farmer in the South?

The Federation of Southern Cooperatives/Land Assistance Fund works to preserve black-owned land in the South. It uses cooperatives and advocates for economic development in low-income communities.


Do you need help now?

Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) for free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all across the USA.

Rainbow over wheat field.The Lifeline is a national network of over 170 local crisis centers. You do not have to be suicidal to call. People are social. It is ok to need to talk or text with another helpful person. 

You can text HOME to 741741 from anywhere in the United States, anytime if you do not want to call. Crisis Text Line is available for any crisis. A live, trained Crisis Counselor will respond to your text from a secure online platform.

You have value. Please call if you are in emotional distress or depressed.